This crunchy and nutty muesli is a simple one that you can make in bulk and is a good replacement for sugary, supermarket muesli.
Recipe: Toasted muesli
Prep and cooking time: 45 mins
- 200g rolled oats
- 45g desiccated or flaked
- 45g pumpkin seeds
- 150g raw nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 85g butter or coconut oil,
- 1 egg white (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan.
- Combine the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix lightly.
- Whisk the egg white (if using) in a separate bowl until it reaches soft peaks; it should start to look white and creamy. This can take 5-7mins with a fork or 3mins with a hand-held whisk.
- Add the melted butter/oil and foamy egg white (if using) to the dry ingredients and mix well. Spread the mixture onto a lined baking tray evenly.
- Bake for 30-35mins, or until golden. Check the baking at around 15mins for colour, and mix lightly. Adjust the heat if necessary.
- Turn the oven off and leave the muesli in the oven with the door slightly ajar until it cools.
- Once cool, store in an airtight jar and consume within one to two weeks.
Second Nature Special Tip:
Enjoy 2 tbsp per serving with one portion of seasonal fruits or berries, and a couple of tbsp of full fat Greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt.