One of the questions we get most often from our users is ‘what should I eat for breakfast?’ Well, this delicious shakshuka recipe is a great option for a cooked breakfast! Though no less tasty at dinner either.
Shakshuka is a vegetarian middle eastern dish involving baked eggs, spices, and a ton of veg, primarily tomatoes and peppers. It’s also a highly versatile dish, so you can add in other vegetables as you fancy!
If that wasn’t enough to convince you, it’s also a one-pan dish. Easy to throw together, and easy to clean up too! Check out our video to see how it’s done:
Prep & cooking time: 20-30 mins
1) Heat oil in a large fry pan on medium heat, and add onion and garlic until browned and softened.
2) Add bell pepper and spinach, cumin and paprika, and cook for another few minutes until fragrant and softened.
3) Add tomatoes, and mix to combine. If the tomatoes taste a bit sharp, add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to take away some of the acidity.
4) Let cook, covered, for 15 minutes (until the mixture has reduced down slightly)
5) Make small divots in the sauce for the eggs, and carefully crack the eggs into them.
6) Cover the skillet with a lid, and cook for 5 more minutes, until the egg whites have set.
7) Top with basil/parsley and feta, and serve with an optional slice of multigrain bread.