Recipe: Apple tart
Prep and cooking time: 50 mins
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 pink lady apples, peeled
- 2.5 tbsp butter
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (not fan).
- Rub a nob of butter all over the inside of a (20cm) tart tin that has a removable bottom. You can also split the mixture in 4 mini tins or 2 10cm tins. It’s best to spread the base about 0.5-1cm thick so it crisps and turns golden brown.
- Mix the almonds, coconut flour, flax seed, melted butter, eggs, water, pinch of salt and vanilla together until well combined.
- Press the dough into the tart tins and place in the oven to bake for 10-12mins or until golden.
- While the tart is baking make the puree. Dice 2 of the 4 peeled apples into small cubes.
- Add 1.5 tbsp butter, ½ lemon, ½ tsp cinnamon and the 2 diced apples into a non stick saucepan over medium heat. Place a lid on a cook for 5-8mins minutes or until softened. Drain off any excess liquid and allow to cool before blending or mashing with a fork to make a puree.
- Slice the other 2 apples thinly and set aside.
- Spread the puree on top of the tart bases then layer with apple slices on top and evenly dollop the final 1 tbsp butter on top of the apple slices.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30minutes or until the apples are softened and lightly golden.
- Serve with cream or yogurt.