Choose your favourite seafood to enjoy in this lightly-spiced stew. Serve with steamed vegetables for a nutritious, warming meal.
Recipe: Mediterranean fish stew
Prep and cooking time: 20-30 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced or minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1⁄2 tsp dried chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 500ml fish or vegetable stock
- 700g seafood (e.g. bite-sized pieces of white fish, prawns, mussels, squid and/ or scallops)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat. Fry the onion, celery, garlic, and lemon zest for 5mins. Do not allow the vegetables to colour.
- Stir in the chilli flakes and paprika, and fry for 2mins. Add the tomatoes and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10mins. Add the stock and bring it back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat again, cover, and simmer for another 10mins. Add the prepared seafood, season with salt and pepper, and stir gently.
- Cover and simmer for 5mins, or until the seafood is just cooked.
- Add the lemon juice and parsley and serve in bowls while still hot.