A new take on the classic roast chicken. Enjoy this Indian spiced dish with raita and vegetables for a lower-carb roast dinner.
Recipe: Indian spiced roast chicken
Prep and cooking time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 1 whole chicken, large
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 40g plain yoghurt
- 2.5 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp tomato paste/puree
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced to a paste
- 1 inch of ginger, minced to a paste
- 1 handful coriander, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
- To prepare the chicken, loosen the skin over the chicken breast using a knife to get between the breast meat and the skin.
- To make the spice paste, combine the remaining ingredients (except the fresh coriander) in a bowl and mix well. Adjust the spice paste with more or less chilli powder to suit your tastes.
- Place the chicken in a roasting tin. Rub 2-3 tbsp of the spice mix under the skin and the rest all around the chicken.
- Scatter the onions around the chicken.
- Cover the chicken with foil for the first 40 minutes of baking.
- Take the foil off and roast for a further 20 minutes so the skin crisps up – be careful not to burn it though.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with cabbage, green beans and raita.