These pork bowls take all the best bits from the classic burrito and also make fantastic leftovers for work the next day.
Recipe: Mexican Pork Bowl
Prep and cooking time: 30 mins
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced or minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 500g pork loin steaks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 x 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 80g uncooked brown rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Mix the garlic, cumin, chilli, oregano, 1 tsp of paprika, lime zest, and salt and pepper together.
- Cut the pork into thin strips and mix in the spice mix to fully coat.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan, over medium heat. Fry the tomatoes with the remaining 1 tsp of paprika for 2mins.
- Place the black beans, coriander, and lime juice in a large bowl, and add the fried tomatoes to the bowl. Mix well.
- Prepare the brown rice as per instructions.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in the same pan, over medium-high heat, and fry the pork strips (in batches if necessary) for 3-4mins, until evenly cooked through.
- Divide the brown rice, black bean mix, and pork between four bowls or plates. Top with the roughly chopped avocado and enjoy.
Second Nature Special Tip:
This recipe tastes great with other meats, such as chicken, beef and prawns, give it a go!