This coconut bread is a recipe developed by one of our health coaches Marianne. Marianne is a Registered Associate Nutritionist and Health coach, here at Second Nature, and interestingly studied Forensic Science before transitioning into nutrition.
Marianne recommends pairing her coconut bread with a delicious stew, specifically our Moroccan butternut squash stew. This recipe is a great accompaniment to a balanced meal!
Recipe: Coconut bread
Prep and cooking time: 65 mins
- 180g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 100g coconut flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 50g pitted green or black olives, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 small handful of sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C fan.
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof baking paper.
- Using a hand mixer, blend the butter until soft and smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly whisk 4 full eggs and 4 egg yolks (keep the 4 remaining egg whites for later), and the cider vinegar. Once mixed, combine with the butter mixture and stir to incorporate.
- In a large bowl, add the coconut flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, seeds, and olives, and mix.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the egg and butter mixture, one spoonful at a time.
- Whisk the remaining 4 egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture using a wooden spoon or spatula. Place the mixture into the loaf tin and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake for 40 mins. Remove the tin from the oven and cover with greaseproof paper or tin foil to prevent burning the top and bake for another 15 mins.