This chana masala is the perfect cupboard staple recipe and in true Second Nature form, we bulked the recipe out with plenty of vegetables.
Recipe: Chana masala
Prep and cooking time: 50 mins
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground or fresh ginger (or 2 tbsp tikka masala or korma paste)
- 1 x 400g tin plum/chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 2 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 200ml veg stock
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 250g spinach
- 1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Yoghurt (optional garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan non stick saucepan, over medium heat.
- Add the onion and carrots, and cook until softened, about 10 mins.
- Add the crushed garlic cloves. Add the turmeric and ground coriander (or curry paste), ground ginger or fresh ginger, then stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 mins, then pour in the tin of tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, and the veg stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce has thickened (roughly 25 mins).
- Add the garam masala towards the end (helps keep the flavour).
- Add spinach and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Top with coriander and yoghurt (optional).