Recipe: Cauliflower pizza
Prep and cooking time: 1-1.5hrs
- 1 large cauliflower head or 2 small (450g of cauliflower rice)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of grated vegetarian parmesan
- 30g of ground almonds
- 3 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 100g mozzarella sliced finely
- 1 handful of rocket
- 1 large handful of fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
- Cut the leaves off of the cauliflower and then slice into large chunks.
- Either grate the cauliflower or place into a food processor until “riced” or buy 450g pre-riced cauliflower.
- Lay the riced cauliflower evenly onto a baking paper lined baking tray (don’t use foil as it will stick).
- Roast the cauliflower to soften for 20-25mins, stirring lightly occasionally.
- When the cauliflower looks golden brown and tender, remove, then transfer into a bowl, and allow it to cool for 10mins (prepare topping while cooling).
- Using either the end of a pair of tights, a linen dishcloth or cheese cloth – Place the cooled cauliflower rice in the cloth and wrap it around tightly to squeeze out any liquid, until no more drops of liquid come through the cloth. This step is particularly important, squeeze as much as possibly can!
- Once drained remove from the cloth and back into the bowl. Mix the egg, salt and pepper, cheese, and almond flour into the drained cauliflower, and combine well.
- Once mixed, place the base mixture onto the same baking tray with fresh parchment paper, and form it into a square or circle shape about 0.5-1cm thick. Making the edges thinner or thicker depending on desired crust.
- Place into the oven for 30-40mins until firm and golden.
- Add toppings and bake for a further 6-8mins, be careful not to burn.
- Allow to cool for 5-10mins before slicing.