One of four delicious recipes for dinner that has been produced in collaboration with Farmdrop, an online grocer and delivery service with a focus on food sourced from local farmers, fishermen and other producers.
These recipes are ideal for keeping for lunch the next day too – perfect for meal prepping or for those heading back to the office.
Showcasing the best seasonal produce from Farmdrop, these autumnal dishes work as part of Second Nature’s easy to follow programme that helps to build healthy habits that last, while still enjoying delicious food.
Recipe: Lamb Meatball, Lentil and Kale Stew
Prep and cooking time: 45 mins
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 120g dried dark speckled lentils
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp aleppo pepper or chilli flakes
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube
- 500g minced lamb
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 150g kale or cavolo nero
- Preheat the oven to 200℃/180℃ fan/gas mark 6. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large lidded saucepan or casserole dish, over medium heat. Fry the onion and carrot with a pinch of salt, until soft and translucent.
- Add 1 garlic clove, cook for 1min more.
- Add the tomato puree to the carrot and onion mix, cook for 1min.
- Add the lentils, tinned tomatoes, 1/2 tsp of the chilli, 1 tin of water, the crumbled stock cube, salt and pepper. Bring to boil then simmer for 25mins, stirring occasionally, or until the lentils are tender but still have a little bite.
- Once the lentil stew is cooking, make the meatballs. Mix the lamb mince, the other 2 garlic cloves, the remaining chilli, cumin, cinnamon, and oregano in a bowl, and mix together well with your hands.
- Shape into 16 meatballs and place on the paper lined baking tray. Drizzle with 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Bake the meatballs in the oven for 10mins while the stew is cooking.
- Shred the kale leaves and wash well, if using cavolo nero cut into chunky strips.
- Add the meatballs and the shredded kale to the lentil stew, add a little more water if it’s looking dry, and cook for 5mins with the lid on or until the kale is wilted.