Habitual and Second Nature are weight-loss programmes offering GLP-1 medications, like Wegovy, alongside a digital lifestyle intervention.
If you’re looking for a weight-loss programme alongside a weight-loss injection like Wegovy, we’ll be biased and recommend that you choose Second Nature over Habitual.
The main difference between the two programmes is the depth of clinical evidence Second Nature has supporting its effectiveness for weight loss and health outcomes like blood sugar levels.
In 2022, research published in the British Medical Journal demonstrated that Second Nature was more than twice as effective as four other well-known weight-loss programmes in the UK.
This data is in addition to over seven years of clinical data demonstrating the impact of the Second Nature programme on weight loss and type 2 diabetes.
This year (2024), Second Nature became the first digital weight-loss programme to publish evidence demonstrating the benefits of semaglutide alongside a digital intervention like Second Nature.
The average weight loss was 6.5kg after 12 weeks, and over 60% of participants achieved over 5% weight loss, while 10% achieved over 10% weight loss.
In comparison, Habitual doesn’t seem to have the same level of clinical data on its programme. At the very least, it’s not easily accessible via its website.
However, there are many similarities between the two programmes, which we’ve summarised below.
The three main similarities between Habitual and Second Nature
- Nutrition and sustainable approach to weight loss: Second Nature and Habitual take a sustainable approach to healthy eating and weight loss. They use high-quality research to develop evidence-based content that puts the individual at the heart of their approach.
- Customer service and pharmacy partnerships: Both programmes have responsive customer service and are partnered with a pharmacy to deliver the programme and ensure the clinical safety of all patients.
- NHS connection: The NHS uses and trusts both programmes to deliver weight-loss services in the UK.
Additionally, there are several key differences between the two programmes that go beyond the level of experience that we’ve described above. These are summarised below.
The three main differences between Habitual and Second Nature
1) Level of health coach support
At Second Nature, all members can access a group and private chat via the Second Nature app with a registered nutritionist or dietitian.
Our coaches are trained in behavioural science and psychology to complement their nutrition expertise to provide daily support to ensure individuals achieve their personal goals.
In comparison, on Habitual, you have access to a community of peers in a WhatsApp group. Still, it’s unclear whether you receive support from a registered healthcare professional as it’s not clearly stated on its website.
2) Second Nature is clinically proven
The Second Nature weight-loss programme has over seven years of published clinical data outlining its effectiveness.
Second Nature is proven to support individuals to lose weight; individuals on our programme lose an average of over 6kg after 12 months.
Additionally, our programme is proven to support individuals living with type 2 diabetes to lower their blood sugar levels.
So much so that our original pilot in Portsmouth with the NHS showed that 40% of patients lowered their HbA1c (average blood sugar levels) below the diagnostic threshold for type 2 diabetes. Putting them on the path to potential remission in the future.
Despite Habitual’s connection to the NHS, it’s unclear whether they have any published data showcasing the impact of their programme on weight loss and health outcomes.
3) Cost and Trustpilot reviews
- The total monthly cost of the Second Nature programme, including GLP-1 medication: £229
- The total monthly cost of the Habitual programme, including GLP-1 medication: £229
- Second Nature’s current Trustpilot score based on 6,944 reviews is 4.8, and are rated as ‘Excellent’
- Habitual’s current Trustpilot score based on 174 reviews is 4.4, and are rated as ‘Excellent’
Take home message
We live in a paradoxical time where we have more options than ever to help us lose weight and achieve a healthy lifestyle. At the same time, obesity and chronic disease rates worldwide continue to rise.
There’s a lot we don’t know about treating obesity and chronic disease, but we do know there won’t be a global solution for everyone.
Second Nature and Habitual’s programmes are very similar in style and tone, and you’d likely be successful on either programme as both companies use high-quality, evidence-based practices to support their members.
However, Second Nature’s programme has the vast backing of seven years of clinical data, and research suggests it’s the most effective weight-loss programme in the UK.