Pre-cooked brown, green, or Puy lentils are transformed into a quick and rich sauce that goes perfectly with a little pasta. Serve it with crisp salad leaves and grated cheese.
Recipe: Lentil Bolognese
Prep and cooking time: 45 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 courgette, diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 175g mushrooms, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced or minced
- 1 x 400g tin cooked lentils
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 80g vegetarian Italian hard cheese, grated
- 40g uncooked wholewheat pasta
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish, over medium heat. Fry the onion, until lightly coloured.
- Add the green pepper, courgette, and oregano, and fry until they soften.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic. Allow the mushrooms to cook a little, and add the lentils, tomatoes, and half of the basil. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer gently for 10-15mins.
- Serve the bolognese with the cooked wholewheat pasta. Garnish with the remaining chopped basil leaves and sprinkle with grated cheese.