You can only be prescribed Ozempic on the NHS via your GP if you’re living with type 2 diabetes as an addition to diet and exercise.
Did you know?
Second Nature will launch a medication-supported programme when semaglutide becomes available.
If you’d like to join our waiting list, click here.
How do you qualify for an Ozempic prescription?
To receive an Ozempic prescription from your GP in the UK, here are some of the criteria you need to meet:
- Have poorly controlled type 2 diabetes
- Treatment with metformin is considered inappropriate
- Have a BMI of 30 or over
- Have no diagnosis or family history of thyroid cancer
- Have no diagnosis or family history of pancreatic cancer or pancreatitis
Is Ozempic approved for weight loss?
No, Ozempic is only approved for individuals living with type 2 diabetes to help manage their blood sugar levels.
Under new regulations, off-label use of Ozempic is no longer allowed in the UK.
Is it safe to order prescriptions online?
All online prescribers have to follow strict regulations in the U.S. and other countries to provide medications for delivery.
All pharmacies must be registered with their national bodies and follow guidelines on safe and appropriate prescriptions for medication.
Prescribers may partner with providers like Second Nature to distribute their products. All partners must follow strict regulations and have sufficient insurance coverage to advertise and sell medication.
However, illegal websites do operate beyond these regulations; here are some tips to ensure you’re buying prescription medicines from reliable sources:
- If you’re purchasing your medication through a prescriber’s partner, like Second Nature, make sure the prescribing pharmacy information is provided
- Be wary of online pharmacies that offer prescription drugs without a prescription or at a significantly lower price than other pharmacies
- Check if the online pharmacy is licensed and located in the United Kingdom
- Make sure that the online pharmacy has a licensed pharmacist available to answer your questions
Should I buy Ozempic?
GLP-1 medications like Ozempic can lead to significant weight loss and health improvements like lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
However, all medications come with risks and rewards, and not everyone is suitable for Ozempic.
Deciding to start a new medication is a highly personal choice. So, ultimately, it depends on whether you believe it’s the best decision for your health going forward.
Additionally, when you’re being prescribed the medication, you have to meet specific eligibility criteria.
If you’re unsure whether to take Ozempic to support weight loss, speak to your local healthcare team.